Here is a list of many of the sites that the Antiochian Orthodox Department of Christian Education visits when searching for ideas and resources for our online ministry.
- Ancient Faith Ministries: http://www.ancientfaithministries.com/
This site offers a mix of audio and publishing ministries to Orthodox Christians. Ancient Faith has talk radio, Orthodox Christian music, podcasts, blogs, vlogs, and even an online bookstore.
Podcasts of particular interest to parents and teachers include:
- Antiochian Orthodox Department of Christian Education: http://www.antiochian.org/christianeducation
Our website offers a variety of links to online resources.
We also offer the following online ministries:
- AODCE’s parenting blog: https://orthodoxchristianparenting.wordpress.com/
This blog consists of a variety of regular blog posts. The posts range from parenting ideas to book reviews to a featured saint and more.
- AODCE’s SCS teachers blog: https://orthodoxchurchschoolteachers.wordpress.com/
Ideas for Sunday Church School teachers are posted regularly on this blog. Blog posts contain lesson ideas, craft suggestions, classroom management and lesson plan guidance, and much more.
- AODCE’s Pinterest site: https://www.pinterest.com/aodce/
Find a variety of boards featuring everything from Orthodox photos to articles and resources to quotes from the church fathers to learning activities for kids on our pinterest site.
- Department of Christian Education of the Orthodox Church in America: http://dce.oca.org/
The DCE offers a myriad of helpful resources for parents and teachers. Here are a few:
Find focus units for learning about Pascha, the Nativity, the Orthodox Family, and more here: http://dce.oca.org/page/focus/
Find mini units here: http://dce.oca.org/page/mini/
See a variety of downloadable and printable bulletin inserts here: http://dce.oca.org/page/bulletins/
Find free printable activity books here: http://dce.oca.org/page/activity-books/
Find even more resources here: http://dce.oca.org/page/resources/.
- GOARCH: http://www.goarch.org/archdiocese/departments/religioused/folder.2012-03-22.9458973042
The Greek Orthodox Archdiocese offers a variety of helpful educational tools, including downloadable curriculum and many other ideas for helping children learn about the Faith.
- GOARCH’s Center for Family Care: http://www.goarch.org/archdiocese/departments/family/
Find support for Orthodox Christian family life at this website. It also features ideas for how to live the Faith in the context of family life.
- The Children’s Word: http://myocn.net/orthodox-christian-news/orthodox-christian-childrens-newsletter/
This OCN-published children’s bulletin can be downloaded and printed weekly. Each issue is free and will help children learn about the Gospel lesson of the week, or a saint, etc.
- Illumination Learning: http://illumination-learning.com/main/
This site calls itself “a collection of Orthodox Christian resources for family-centered catechesis.”
- Orthodox ABC.com: http://www.orthodoxabc.com/
Orthodox ABC offers printable pdfs that feature lessons on the basics of the Orthodox faith.
- Orthodox Children’s magazine: “Little Falcons:” http://www.littlefalcons.net/
From the website: “Little Falcons is perhaps the best magazine for young people in the Orthodox Church… it succeeds by being fun, educational, interesting, while teaching… Orthodox piety.” Each issue features an aspect of The Faith, including articles, stories, activity pages, and pictures. Many back issues are available, as well.
- Orthodox Children’s Press: http://www.theorthodoxchildrenspress.com/
The site states, “We are a publishing company with a desire to provide Orthodox Christian children with books and goods that strengthen their faith and love of the Church.” The site also offers simple craft ideas for Orthodox kids.
- Orthodox Christian Network: http://myocn.net/
The OCN was commissioned by SCOBA to be a media witness for Orthodox Christians throughout North America. The OCN features podcasts, blogs, vlogs, and more.
- Orthodox Education Blogspot: http://orthodoxeducation.blogspot.com/ features a variety of Orthodox activities that families and teachers can use to help children learn about their faith.
- PRAXIS: http://www.goarch.org/archdiocese/departments/religioused/praxis
This Orthodox Christian professional educators’ magazine benefits teachers, Sunday Church School teachers, and parents alike. Some issues are archived and immediately accessible on the website.
- Phyllis Onest: http://www.phyllisonest.com/
Phyllis Onest’s website offers resources for Orthodox Christian educators, including sections for parents, teachers, and clergy.
- Various Orthodox parenting/teaching blogs:
- http://www.orthodoxmom.com/ About the blog: “… a place where parents [can] meet and talk about all the mishaps and triumphs of raising children within the Orthodox Faith.”
- http://manymercies.blogspot.com/ About the blogger: “…I am a designer & homeschooling mother; convert to the Orthodox Christian faith, making our home a little church. I’m bookmarking resources and sharing what I have.” This blog includes many free printables that can help children learn about their faith.
- http://charmingthebirdsfromthetrees.blogspot.com/ About the blogger: “I am an Orthodox Christian woman who is happily married to an Orthodox priest. I am a mama to three little ones and I enjoy trying to create a peaceful and lovely life for my sweet family.” The blog includes many ideas of ways to help children learn.
- http://www.creativehandscreativeminds.com/ About the blogger: “I have taught drawing, art history and history classes to children in my local homeschool community. This blog is a place to share some of the projects I have done with my own children and with children of various ages in the classes I have taught.”
- http://orthodoxeducation.blogspot.com/ About the blogger: “I am a mother to three busy children and a graduate of Pratt Institute (BFA) and Holy Cross Greek Orthodox Seminary (M.Div.)… I am thankful for the online chance to share Orthodox ideas to keep our children engaged and wish your families many blessings.”
- http://craftycontemplative.com/ About the blog: “Orthodox Christian faith, family, and finger painting… This blog documents my struggle to create a home environment and lifestyle that leads my family to a place of prayer.”
- http://orthodoxsundayschoolresources.tumblr.com/ About the blog: “This blog was created by a young Orthodox Christian girl from Greece in order to share with all the Orthodox Sunday School teachers and Orthodox parents material useful for a Christian education (Orthodox coloring pages, stories, handcrafts, songs, etc).”
Other (Non-Orthodox, But Useful) Sites:
- Crayola: http://www.crayola.com/
This thorough arts/crafts website offers art and craft ideas, free printables, and lesson plans. Parents and teachers will find this site helpful to use with children of all ages.
- Danielle’s Place: http://www.daniellesplace.com/index.html
This website is full of educational ideas, including crafts and printables. The site also includes a section on Bible games, one on Bible crafts, and one for VBS craft ideas.
- DLTK Kids (Bible section): http://www.dltk-bible.com/
The Bible part of the DLTK Kids website offers craft ideas and other resources based on the Bible.
- Family Education.com: http://www.familyeducation.com/
This huge site is filled with articles and helpful advice for a variety of family-related things. Of particular interest to the educational aspects of parenting is this page, which offers educational printables at so many ability levels: http://printables.familyeducation.com/.
- Help Teaching: http://www.helpteaching.com/free-printable-worksheets.htm
This members-only site offers thousands of printables as well as a test maker. Non-members can still use the test maker; but are limited to 10 questions per test.
- Kids Sunday School.com: http://www.kidssundayschool.com/
This colorful, well-organized Christian Education website features lesson plans, object lessons, craft ideas, activities, printables and more! Preschool and grade school leveled. Members of the site have access to everything; some parts are free to the public.
- Making Friends: http://www.makingfriends.com/
This website offers craft ideas (including making things from recycled items) and free reproducibles, including Bible-themed activities.
- Ministry to Children.com: http://ministry-to-children.com/
This website features lesson plans, object lessons, and printable coloring pages for Bible stories; all offered for free!
- Scholastic: http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/ and http://www.scholastic.com/parents/
Each of these sites offers articles, lessons, and ideas on many topics of interest to grownups and the kids with whom they work. Information is offered at a variety of age levels, from birth to grade 8.
- Sunday School Kids.com: http://www.sundayschoolkids.com/
Sunday Church School teachers will find a variety of ideas, resources, and printables at this site.
- Super Teacher Worksheets: https://www.superteacherworksheets.com/index.html
For a fee, visitors to this website can become members and have access to thousands of printable worksheets. Some of the worksheets are available for free to anyone, however; and the worksheet generator is especially helpful for creating review activity sheets for Sunday Church School!
- Teacher Help.org: http://www.teacherhelp.org/bible_lessons.htm#.VU0EgpI4nTY
This website is a compilation of links to other sites that can be useful to Sunday Church School teachers who are teaching their students about the Bible.
- Youth Ministry Resources: http://www.teensundayschool.com/
This site offers lessons, activities, games, etc. for those working with teens. Members of the site have access to everything; some parts are free to the public.