Prepare your Sunday Church School classroom by dressing its walls with bulletin boards and/or displays. These can act as teaching aids to help your students focus on what they are learning in class. The displays can be very simple or ornate: it depends on your time and abilities, as well as your students’ needs. This mini-series will offer ideas of ways to decorate your classroom with decor which is useful, yet will also enhance the learning environment.
This second blog post in the series focuses on bringing the scriptures to light through classroom displays. Perhaps you wish to select and highlight a theme verse for the year. Or, if you are so inclined, reserve one display area/bulletin board as a scripture passage display that changes throughout the Sunday Church School year. It is up to you how often you change the display!
Here are a few resources for scripture-based display ideas. May they inspire you!
- This blog post features several scripture-based bulletin board ideas for a variety of seasons: http://rebekahmckee.blogspot.com/2010/12/bulletin-boards.html
- At this link you will find a bulletin board about how God’s word is a lamp to our feet and a light to our path: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/79/51/af/7951af47340bab98fe42eca2a4a33f02.jpg
- Remind your students that we are the sheep of His pasture with this display:
- If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature. Help your students remember that scripture with this bulletin board featuring butterflies and flowers. This link is to a small picture, but it will give you an idea for a beautiful bulletin board: http://www.myclassroomideas.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Christian.jpg
- Here’s an idea for a display that students can help to create about being in the image and likeness of God, that features a variety of scripture passages: http://www.biblewise.com/kids/char_topic/ss-bulletin-a-biblical.php
- Use this as an idea for a display about who Christ is. There are so many more things that can be added, as well! If your class studies throughout the year center around Our Lord Jesus Christ, you could begin with “Jesus (or Christ) is” and add a new picture and label each week that goes with the lesson you’ve just studied. http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/7f/78/28/7f78280afc1ac2111113236913167398.jpg
- This “see what I learned from scriptures” bulletin board is interactive and could be used on a door instead of on a bulletin board. To contribute their part to the display, students write what they’ve learned on a piece of paper (which could be printed with a “book” or Bible image) and then attach that around the edges: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/f9/96/3a/f9963aa690f211a3767f4f1eb6b139c8.jpg
Clearly, these suggestions are only starting places. Base your classroom displays on what you are studying or whatever scriptures your students need to take root in their hearts and minds. If you’re not the artsy type, ask another member of the parish who is so inclined to help you think of ways to add scriptures to your classroom. Take full advantage of having the children learn in your classroom by adding visual displays that support what the students will be hearing and learning from you.
The following are display ideas based on specific scripture verses:
Check out this display based on Matthew 5:16 (let your light so shine before men…) which can be put on the door to your classroom: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/7f/7f/68/7f7f68d60044b606d5f626d4000eba20.jpg
Display Mark 10:45 to encourage your students to have a servant’s heart: https://orthodoxchurchschoolteachers.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/c56c3-img_4149.jpg
Don’t have a bulletin board? No problem: create a display with a whiteboard. See this example, where 2 Corinthians 4:7 is directly written on a whiteboard, and then combined with individual clay pots (which your students could decorate). It is a simple yet beautiful display. https://orthodoxchurchschoolteachers.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/f9abb-img_2727.jpg
Craft a Hebrews 13:8 display for your Sunday Church School room, using old calendar pages: http://web.archive.org/web/20130512030934/http://www.houstonpark.org/Bulletin%20Board%20Archives_files/image049.jpg
Matthew 7:24 is alluded to in this display for the Sunday Church School room: http://web.archive.org/web/20130512030935/http://www.houstonpark.org/Bulletin%20Board%20Archives_files/image059.jpg
Make a Galatians 6:14 display for your classroom about boasting in the cross of Christ: http://web.archive.org/web/20130512030935/http://www.houstonpark.org/Bulletin%20Board%20Archives_files/image069.jpg
Isaiah 40:8 makes a great fall bulletin board for the Sunday Church School classroom: http://web.archive.org/web/20130512030936/http://www.houstonpark.org/Bulletin%20Board%20Archives_files/image073.jpg
Here is a great display idea for the Sunday Church School room: a bulletin board based on Hebrews 6:19. “We have this hope as an anchor for our souls:” https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/cc/e0/e8/cce0e8f018ad37198f9fb880dc1ab287.jpg